Monday, March 23, 2009

Embed a video. It's easy peasey!

In this first instance below (the blank video space that says "blogger" in the play bar). I uploaded a short video file directly from my computer. It can take a while to upload a video this way, if the file is large. If it's low-res webcam footage then maybe it's not too bad. Either way, I don't know what kind of compression blogspot uses; it may not be the best.

Some issues are: depending on how you've formatted your blog, videos may be too wide to show properly in the main blog column (I've actually adjusted the blog template so that the main body column is wider, to accommodate these videos fully); and, more significantly to me, the blogger video format doesn't allow users to see the video full-screen, unlike the YouTube embedding option below.




This video was already posted on YouTube, I'm simply "embedding" it by copy and pasting the script that's included on the youtube page for such purposes:



To me, this youtube option seems like a better choice. Do you see how you can click on the option to play the video full-screen? This would be better for kids viewing your video blog in the classroom.

That said, there may be places other than youtube where you could upload your videos to that are a little less public. I haven't, for example, tested what happens when one tries to embed a Picasa video. I could try that next if you like.

No comments: